Saturday, October 8, 2011

Portabella Pizza

It's been almost a year since I've had pizza.  Yes, you just read that correctly! The last time I ate pizza was October 30,2010 while watching the San Francisco Giants and the Texas Rangers in the next to last game of the World Series. Needless to say, my journey to health does not include pizza, but having the desire to eat pizza, I came up with a great idea.... portabella mushroom caps! I was delightfully satisfied with the outcome of my portabella pizzas and my co-workers have also given me two thumbs up.

Hope you'll enjoy the healthy alternative to pizza the next time your "pizza tooth" kicks in!







Ingredients:
2 portabella caps
Olive oil spray
2 Roma tomatoes
1/4 sweet onion
1/2 tbsp garlic
spices: basil, salt, pepper
1 oz Proscuitto
16 slices turkey pepperoni
1/2 cup Italian cheese blend

Directions:
1. Spray mushroom caps with oil and heat for 3-4 minutes on grill top.
2. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese, then put under broiler for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, and spices. Add additional spices to taste.
4. Saute prosciutto until browning begins. Drain on paper towel.
5. Place 2 tbsp of tomato sauce on each portabella cap. Sprinkle prosciutto over sauce and then layer pepperoni on top (8 slices per portabella cap). Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 min. Turn on broiler and allow cheese to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment